Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Big Correction to the IF-THEN Charts

Whoops, whoops, whoops!

Wait folks --- I sort of thought I might need to rephrase my list there. I knew what I meant, but I kept reading it thinking someone (and several of you noted this) won't know my meaning.

We do not withhold food here, and certainly not as punishment.

We have sent a very disruptive, rude child having a tantrum to bed without dinner once or twice, but it's not one of those everyday things.

On our IF-THEN Chart I mentioned missing a meal with the chastisement/correction end of things. What I meant, how I should have phrased that was the offender is not allowed toeat with the family. They sit at the table for meal time, but they do not receive a plate or glass. Their meal is without a dessert, and is taken after the family meal, alone in the kitchen at the counter, or at the table. Either way, it's just their missing the family meal time, which is something important around here. It's not missing a meal.

Now, I will say that if the offense is repeated and we just aren't getting anywhere with any correction, I may look at a very simple meal...say a peanut butter sandwich and milk instead of the regular meal, etc.
We have several 'working' animals here, and everyone benefits from them...they all enjoy the eggs and chicken dinners from the birds. They drink the milk from the goats. They will eat the pork, the beef, the rabbits, etc. Those animals are just as much a part of our homestead as anything else. They do not forage and fend for themsleves, but rely on us to take proper care of them. If someone shirks their responsibility and does not water or feed, clean bedding, etc. The animal not only suffers, but their production does as well.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. Proverbs 12:10.

We also use Proverbs 10:26
As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him.

Those who don't obey, or are slow to obey, are selfish. Everyone has jobs to do, and if one person dawdles or simply does not do their duty, they simply have no privilege to take part in the rewards with everyone else who was diligent.

We have issues here with some doing work and others playing their "I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it" games. It's not fair for those who slack or disobey to have any level of privilege as those who did obey.

Around here, slow obedience is the sameas disobedience. Pretty much like "the real world" that folks are so quick to use as their guide. If I go to a restaurant and place an order, I don't expect to wait while the waitress reads a book or finishes chatting with a friend before I'm waited on. Your employer isn't going to keep paying you if you decide you don't want to start work at 7 but are wanting to come in at 9 instead.

Those who are diligent and have initiative reap rewards. Those who don't have those qualities go hungry and grow more lazy by the day.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I can get behind that 100%. The vinegar wash would have not worked with me thought. I enjoy vinegar. I have some good balsamic vinegar that I sip when I need a tangy zip. And some other vinegars that I use.

Plainlady's Ponderings said...

Slow obedience is no obedience!

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive